* 1 kg cleaned calamari/squid tubes or rings
* 1 cup cornflour (or plain flour)
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon white pepper
* ï¿½ teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
* Pinch cinnamon and Chinese five spice (optional)
Score inner surface of calamari and cut into pieces about 3cm x 6cm (alternatively use calamari rings).
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Add calamari to mix and coat.
Shake off excess mix and deep-fry in vegetable oil (180ï¿½C) for 1-2 minutes.
Drain calamari on paper towel and serve immediately.
Serve with sweet chilli dipping sauce.